• If you have any questions about services for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness, please call Alyssa Wenrich, Homeless Liaison, or Dana Earnest, Administrative Assistant, at 570-271-3268 x3719.




    (McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001)


    Who is considered homeless?

    Children or youth and their families living in a shelter, transitional housing, motel, vehicle, campground, on the street, or doubled up with relatives or friends due to a lack of housing are considered to be homeless.

    Does residency have to be proven?

    No, because homeless families are unable to establish a “home” on a permanent basis, a school cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay the enrollment of school-age children.

    What choice of schools do homeless students have?

    The local educational agency serving each child or youth to be assisted under this subtitle shall, according to the child’s or youth’s best interest-
    a) continue the child’s or youth’s education in the school of origin for the duration of homelessness in any case in which a family becomes homeless between academic years or during an academic year; or
    b) for the remainder of the academic year, if the child or youth becomes permanently housed during an academic year; o
    c) enroll the child or youth in any public school that non-homeless students who live in the attendance area in which the child or youth is actually living are eligible to attend.

    Is there any reason to delay enrolling a homeless student?

    No.  The school selected shall immediately enroll the child/youth in school, even if the child or youth lacks previous academic records, medical records, proof of residency or other documentation.  The enrolling school must immediately contact the last school attended to obtain relevant academic and other records. 

    For further assistance, please call:

    Alyssa Wenrich
    Homeless Liaison

    570-271-3268 x3719